Monday, March 13, 2006

HALIBUT: An Easy Recipe

MY DEAR GREAT AUNT had some minor surgery last week, so she's been stuck at home since returning from Sibley Memorial Hospital. Friday, I prepared dinner for her since she had been complaining to no end about the cuisine served up by Sibley's kitchen crew, including cream of wheat that "had the consistency of chicken broth." I thought my meal turned out so well (and it's easy to prepare), so I thought I'd share it with you all. Unfortunately, I didn't take photos of the preparation and finished product, but that's OK.

As my great aunt says: "Halibut is a bland fish, so you have to dress it up." Here's my attempt to do just that ...

ROMANO-ENCRUSTED HALIBUT WITH CAPERS AND MUSHROOMS
Ingredients:
Halibut (2 filets)
Mushrooms (sliced)
Capers
Romano cheese (grated)

Take the halibut filets, and place them in a pan coated in olive oil. Layer the sliced mushrooms on top of the filets, filling the remaining areas of the pan with the mushrooms. Take 3-5 generous spoon-fulls of capers and distribute them evenly throughout the pan. There's no need to go overboard with the capers. Take grated Romano cheese (parmesan would work as well) and cover the mushrooms and halibut with a generous dusting of cheese.

Put in a preheated oven (350 degrees) uncovered for a half hour or so. Use your best judgment. The mushrooms and capers should get a nice, but not overbearing Romano crust.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home