Wednesday, November 09, 2005

MUSIC: How (Glow-in-the-Dark) Green Was My Valley


(Editor's Note: If you are familiar with author Richard Llewellyn and were at last night Super Furry Animals show, you might be able to figure out the headline)

I HOPED FOR CALIMERO, and I got it (along with "Something 4 the Weekend," "Slow Life," and "Juxtaposed With U") and so much more at last night's Super Furry Animals show at the 9:30 Club. If I'm counting correctly, this was my fourth time seeing the Welsh ensemble known for their unclassifiable space popesque rock (did I just create a new genre?) and this time's featured attraction: hanging out after the show with the band.

Kyle was all over the place taking photos, including this one of me (and fellow SFA nut Lauren) with frontman Gruff Rhys after we all got booted from the 9:30 Club's Back Bar after last call.

Drummer Dafydd Ieuan and I talked about politics, Detroit and the difference between a north Wales accent versus a south Wales accent. Mr. Ieuan said he was very surprised that he was unaware until just recently that the District lacks a vote in Congress. He also said that I looked Latvian. Guilty as charged. (His math teacher back in Anglesey apparently escaped from Latvia via Berlin in the 1960s and somehow ended up in northwest Wales. Latvians do look very similar since there are only a couple million of us around.)

I'll probably write more about the show when I get more time. Busy day today.

UPDATE: Kyle recounts the evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home