Monday, January 23, 2006

MAPS: Crooked Colorado


LAST NIGHT WHEN I WAS DOING LAUNDRY, (and from what I hear President Bush viewing "King Kong" up the street at the Uptown Theatre ... causing motorcade closures on Connecticut Avenue and police cruisers stationed on my neighborhood sidewalks) I discovered that in my building's laundry/recycling room, some foolish resident decided to discard a large United States Geological Survey map of the state of Colorado. Anyone who knows me or has been to my apartment knows of my love of cartography and my collection. (My favorite being a framed four-fold full-color 1939 Fortune magazine land-use map of New York City's five boroughs ...) So I have no assumed possession of the Colorado map, and it is up on my wall.

YOU WOULD THINK that the state of Colorado, being a rectangle and all, would be a simple thing to hang. No. The map has to take the Earth's curvature into account and no matter how hard I tried to line it up properly (I think I did a pretty good job), the map's crooked northern and southern boundaries make the entire thing look off-line. Blast those accurate maps! (The map has seen a little bit of wear and tear. In fact there is some sort of circular burn mark in Colorado's Phillips County, a rather desolate place on the high plains near the Nebraska border.)

4 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger A Unique Alias said...

Perhaps that's why it was discarded . . .

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger Michael said...

I doubt it. Looking at the tack marks and the mild wear and tear, the map did see some miles.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger nm said...

isn't there a swanky home theater in the white house? why does bush have to go out to a regular movie theater and ruin things for everyone else, huh? although i guess i can't fault him too much, since the uptown's screen is so damn big. it was the perfect place to see king kong. do you know if they shut down the whole theater for him?

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Thanks for noting the error. We should all have personal copy editors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home