Thursday, January 12, 2006

BLOGS: An Affirmation That You're Doing Good Things for the World's Greater Good

AS SOME OF YOU MIGHT KNOW, as part of my job, I read hundreds of blogs a day. While that sounds like a nice gig -- and it is -- there are some days that the greater blogosphere gets lazy. There's either not much out there to write about, or there's some sort of blogger malaise where writing is sloppy or just plain uninspired from blog to blog to blog.

(December was a bad month for bloggers in my view. Perhaps it was final exams for the student bloggers, or holiday parties for the blog-at-work types or perhaps the run-up to the holidays sucked out all the blog cheer for our blogger cynics. There's no good measure for this, of course.)

BUT THEN AGAIN, sometimes there's blogger gold out there. Earlier this week, I pulled a quote from ElGuapoDC from this post for Express' Blog Log. ElGuapoDC is a great, entertaining writer and I'm glad I stumbled across his blog in my daily exploration of the greater blogging world.

In another ElGuapoDC post about how the Columbia Heights CVS locks up its condoms (linked to by DCBlogs) I came across this comment:
Dupont's CVS only locks up the Crest White Strips.... damn you discriminatory CVS.

Maybe your appearance, and subsequent fame from the article about you in The Express, El Guapo, will help the fine latinos of DC to free the condoms.
It's stuff like that that's a reminder that despite the large amount of blog information I consume on a daily basis that's pretty much worthless, there's pure gold out there to discover.

10 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Blogger HomeImprovementNinja said...

As a felow latino living in columbia heights, I used to find El Guapo funny because I could relate to his experiences. Then I found out he was from Guatemala...so I realized we have nothing in common except that neither of our ancestral homelands will likely win the next world cup.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger El Guapo in DC said...

Eres buena gente mi amigo! Gracias for your kind words. I love The Express!

Mucho Amor,

El Guapo

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger A Unique Alias said...

Casually reading blogs is all-well-and-fun. As a job? Yikes. If my work was specifically to read them all day, I'd probably be drafting up defense contracts as a distraction, instead.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Just to clarify ... blog reading is part of my job.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger A Unique Alias said...

Seriously, that is kinda pitiably.

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Michael said...

I actually draft defense contracts in the morning over breakfast. Then I put out a newspaper later on in the afternoon that I hear is quite highly read during the morning commute. I'm not on the Metro that early because my morning commute doesn't begin until 11 a.m. usually. So, you see, I have a nice well-rounded, relaxing job.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger A Unique Alias said...

But man . . . you have to read blogs all day. That must suck all the fun out of it. Not only that, but sifting through an entire beach to find that one grain of sand?

Oche.

Do you think you'll go to the Blog HH at Mackey's? I hear there'll be scads of defense contracts managers.

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Michael said...

I will likely swing by Mackey's, but not until later.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Phil said...

We would like to sell you 1,000 never-been-used tomahawk cruise missiles.

We don't need them anymore.

 
At 5:31 AM, Blogger Mary said...

Wow! You're very patient. But again, perhaps you already made a good habit of reading a lot of blogs. :)

Hey, if you can also get a chance to visit my blog- it's http://www.enlightenmentgateway.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home